Thursday, September 20, 2012

Value Portraits

 
 Value Portraits Art Critique
 
1. Explain the process you went through to develop your drawing.
 
The process I went through to develop my drawing was taking a picture of the person in light to create different values.  Then I took a piece of tracing paper, put it over the picture, and outlined the different values that i saw within the picture to create the portrait shape.  After tracing I transfered the tracing from the tracing paper to my sketchbook and then I began to shade in the shapes of values i had created to make it look realistic and have values that make the picture come to life.
 
2. Explain how you found the different values in the portrait?
 
I found the different values in the portrait by looking at the picture and seeing what kind of shapes formed from the lighting and shadows.  Some are more intricate than others and where harder to find although they are what help the picture come to life even if it's hard to see them.  I also had to think about how the lights and shadows were placed and shaded on the photo, a slightly darker area would show the facial features, anything no matter how small it was was part of the artwork and had to be incorporated.
 
3.  Did you achieve a full range of the different values within your portrait?  How?
 
I believe I achieved a full range of different values within my portrait.  I did this by looking at the photo and shading in the different areas I had previously traced out for all the different values.  Judging by the photo where different areas would go and using my value chart on the photo I was able to determine where different values went which made it easier to blend them together to form the portrait. 
 
4. Describe your craftsmanship.  Is the artwork executed and crafted neatly?
 
I would describe my craftsmanship was neat, orderly, and presice.  I didn't emphasize too heavily on the dark or the light, there had to be a balance of both in the portrait for it to look realistic.  I believe my artwork is executed and crafted neatly with precise lines as to where different areas of value went and the amount of realism I tried to put into the portrait to the best of my abilities.
5. List any obstacles you had to overcome and how you dealt with them.

I had a difficult time with making the shading blend together into a smooth portrait.  I dealt with it by not going dark fast and keep to light values until I had all the values in the portrait done, then I went back over with some darker shades to make it look more realistic and to add depth to the portrait.  It wasn't easy since the values sometimes didn't blend but I worked with it and made it look as best as I could and worked through the difficulties.

No comments:

Post a Comment